Monday, February 15, 2016

Oven Roasted Butternut Squash


I am a gardener. An obsessive, compulsive gardener. I can't not plant a garden, and I have a dreadful time knowing when to stop. I'm always just a little scared that something won't germinate well so I plant extra. And almost every time it comes up full force, and results in an abundance of produce. Such was the case with Butternut Squash this past year. I hate to see perfectly good food go to waste, so we've been eating lots of squash. It's a good thing my family all love it! 
One of the fastest, easiest ways that I know of to prepare winter vegetables is roasting. In this case, the natural sweetness of the squash pairs beautifully with garlic and salt. Here's what I do:
Preheat your oven to 400.
Peel and seed one medium sized squash. (I like to peel mine with my potato peeler). Chop it into approximately 1 inch squares. 
Also peel 2 large cloves of garlic.
Put the cubed squash into a pan with sides. Metal works better than glass. Drizzle about 2 Tbsp of olive oil over it, and toss it with the crushed garlic until it's well coated. The cubes should be in a single layer on the bottom of the pan, not on top of each other. Then give it a generous sprinkle of salt and pop it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Shake the pan occasionally, and test for done-ness. 
I love to serve this with pan-fried salmon, but it makes a great side for many other entrees as well.  Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment