Monday, February 15, 2016

Basic Brown Rice

Brown rice is a staple on our table. My little people prefer it above potatoes (unless it's french fries!), and I like how versatile it is. I use it as a base for many things ~ rice & beans, in place of chips for haystacks, under savory chicken, and so many more.
Brown rice is cooked much like white rice. It just takes about twice as long. I don't mind that, unless I forgot to start dinner until half-an-hour before it should be ready! After the initial prep it doesn't need tended to other than checking occasionally to see if it's done. Here is my method:

Measure your desired amount of dry rice into a heavy-bottom kettle. Basic rule of thumb is that rice doubles in size. So if you want 3 cups cooked, measure 1&1/2 dry. It's not exact, but close.
Cover it with water to the depth of the first knuckle on one finger.
Add 1 tsp salt, and stir to mix it all together.
Bring it just to a boil over medium-high heat.
When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover with a snugly fitting lid, and let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Some recipes say not to lift the lid. My experience is that it really doesn't matter. I like to peek occasionally to see how it's doing. When it's done, remove it from the heat and let it set for about 5 minutes, covered. This helps to make it fluffier. Then fluff it with a fork, and serve with your favorite toppings.
For variety try adding a tablespoon or two of chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment