Monday, February 8, 2016

Traditional Fermented Garlic Dill Pickles



Traditional Fermented Garlic Dill Pickles ~And The Story Behind Them

photo 1 (1)
Ahh… the lovely warm days of summer! I do love summer! Recently we had about a week of cool, rainy, fall-like weather. I didn’t mind, really. It came on the heels of a very busy stretch, so it felt good to have the garden too wet to work in, and not feel bad letting the kiddos watch movies while I snuggled up with a blanket and a cup of coffee. I wouldn’t have wanted it to last, though, and it didn’t. This week is hot and hazy. It makes the cukes go crazy. Ha!
And what do I do with crazy cukes?? Lots and lots of pickles. Hubby and the kiddos love ’em. And garlic dills no less! Growing up, we NEVER ate Garlic Dills. We wouldn’t TOUCH those things! The only time I ever ate them was if by some sad turn of fate I happened to take one when we were invited away for lunch. Otherwise, it was nothing but sweet pickles, thank-you-very-much! Or cinnamon pickles. Yum! But, as often goes, I married a guy who does NOT like sweet pickles. Nothing but Garlic Dills, thank-you-very-much! So what’s a gal to do? I make them. And I’ve actually learned to LIKE them ~ kind of.
And then, last summer I tried a new venture ~ fermented pickles. And I was hooked. They are so easy, and so good! And good for you, too. All those good bacteria and stuff, added to the fact that they are never heated which means the enzyme activity is still there and functional. In all reality they count as part of your raw vegetable intake. Ahh… it makes a health nut’s heart very happy. And add in a hubby who gives rave reviews and kiddos who love them, and it’s a keeper for sure!
How easy is it? This easy: wash the cukes, peel the garlic, stuff them in jars with a head of dill and a few grape leaves on top, pour brine over the whole lot, cover them loosely, and let them set. Just. That. Easy. I took a few pictures to show you.
photo 2 (1)
First, I wash about 2 lb of small cukes (finger size is nice, tho bigger will work also),  and cut off the blossom end. If you leave it on the pickles will go soft. Peel your garlics (I like about 6 cloves per half-gallon), and put them and a good size head of fresh dill into the bottom of a clean half-gallon jar or pickle crock. Then pack in the cukes. Pack them tight, but don’t crush them. Make a brine of 3 Tbsp salt, dissolved in 1 quart of warm water. I err on the scant side of 3 Tbsp since we don’t like our pickles too salty. Pour the brine over the cukes, making sure they are all submerged. It is very important that they are all under brine. Top off the jar with a few fresh grape leaves, making sure they are also under the brine. If they don’t want to stay down, use a fermenting weight or a sterilized rock to keep everything under the brine. Cover the jar loosely. I just set the lid and ring on and turn it a wee bit.
photo 1 (1)
Then, let them set at room temperature until they’re done. Mine usually take about 7-10 days. After the first 3 days taste one. They are done when they taste good to you. A little foam may rise in the jar and that’s ok. Just skim it off. Keep an eye on the brine level, and if it starts getting a little low top it up with a little water.
photo (2)
This is what my finished ones look like. When I think they’re done I just take out the weight, remove the grape leaves, and put them in the fridge. Sometimes I will transfer them to a bigger jar just for ease of storage, but that’s not necessary. Once in the cool fridge the fermentation stops. I also store them in my root pantry in the winter when it stays just above freezing in there. Obviously, that’s not an option right now. All that’s left is to enjoy them. Mine keep for about 9 months in the fridge, but the only way I know that is cause a little jar got pushed to the back and forgotten. Otherwise, well, it depends on how many your family eats. My people will chow through half a gallon in one week if I let them!
A little bit about the grape leaves. They are included to keep the pickles crisp. Apparently they contain natural tannin that does that. I’ve also read that oak, cherry, raspberry, blackberry, and horseradish work if you can’t access fresh grape leaves. I have not tried them, but other folks report a slightly different flavor.
Disclaimer – Please note: I am by no means an expert at this, and am simply sharing what works for us. If you have any concerns on the safety of something, please play it safe. Do your own research, and make sure it is safe before you eat it. If you do decide to give it a try I’d love to hear what you think!
Enjoy the last weeks of summer! I’m sure we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment